The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Homecoming Week: Students dance the night away at homecoming

Kjersten Johnson
Students dance in the courtyard during homecoming. The theme of this year’s homecoming was “Hollywood.”

Students celebrated the end of homecoming week with loud music and flashing lights in the courtyard of Windsor High on Saturday, Sept. 30. 

“I think it’s a lot of fun,” junior class president Madi Romme (11) said. “I think it’s something that everyone can go to no matter what you’re involved in.”

This was the first homecoming with significant changes to Student Council. Many students attended, including students from other schools who got permission to come with friends. People of all grades and many clubs dressed to the nines, walked the red carpet and made their way to the courtyard for some dancing and excitement while others stayed in the cafeteria for conversation and games.

Ave Brady (09) plays a large game of Jenga at homecoming. Other game options included checkers, arcade-style basketball and ax throwing. (Kjersten Johnson)

“My favorite part was honestly the dance as soon as everybody got there,” Teegan Cole (11) said. “It’s a lot of fun when there’s a lot of people.”

The courtyard was packed with people, many of whom jumped up and down in response to the music. This was especially the case during “Love Story” by Taylor Swift. 

Students came in their favorite versions of fashion; this ranged from corsages and boutonnieres to cowboy hats, sparkly dresses, dapper suits and even matching outfits. Teachers who chaperoned the event even got in on the fashion fun.

Michael Verro (10) and Ava Knighton (10) dress in matching attire for homecoming. Many students dressed to match dates or friends. (Kjersten Johnson)

Michael Verro (10) and Ava Knighton (10) attended the dance together and dressed to match each other. “(Ava) said, ‘I’m wearing a red dress.’ So I was like, ‘Oh, that’s easy, I can just wear a red bow tie,'” Verro said.

While the dance itself was full of excitement, for many students, it seems that the preparation could also be stressful. “You have to find a date, you have to pay for dinner and you have to find clothes,” Cameron Woods (11) said. That being said, Woods had a good experience and enjoyed spending time with friends.

However, even with the pressure of it all, students still found ways to have fun and get together. Going out to eat, taking pictures and sometimes matching outfits is just part of the homecoming tradition, and it’s alive and well at Windsor High School.

“I hung out with some friends, took some pictures at IHOP and went to Target!” Ryele Pena (11) said. “It was so exciting!”

The 2023 homecoming dance came to an end at 11 p.m. and students filed out of the Innovation Center doors, scattering across the town. Some went for a bite to eat and others escaped to the comfort of their bed for a good night’s rest. WHS is now left waiting for next year’s homecoming dance.

EDIT: This article previously listed Madi Romme as the student council president and has been updated. She is the president for the junior class.