The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Students vote on favorite high school subjects

Math takes the lead as the favorite core subject at WHS
Sophia Jensen
Adyson Roles (10) works on an article for the Windsor Chronicle. Roles is a reporter for the school newspaper, and English classes are her favorite.

At every place of education, there are a variety of classes that students can enroll in. Among these, there are typically four core classes that students must take: math, science, social studies and English.

The newspaper staff surveyed 62 students to determine which class was favored among the rest and the results were enlightening. According to the chart below, the majority of students prefer math and social studies over English and science, with math scoring highest (32.3%) and English scoring the lowest (11.3%).

The chart displays the results of the poll on 62 students’ favorite subjects. Math took the lead with 32.3% and English had the least amount of votes with 11.3%.

Dillon Henson (11) is one student who is more in favor of numbers. “I’m in advanced … and everything is just laid out,” Henson said. Henson is thinking about going into a computer-based career in the future and also plans on going to college for it. “There’s some math and science in the computer field,” Henson said.

On the opposite side of academic studies, Adyson Roles (10) is part of the 11.3% that much prefers to read and write in the English classes. “I feel like I am a really good writer and it’s one of my strongest points,” Roles said. “I feel like I understand that and I can easily portray my words onto a piece of paper.” Roles thinks that there is a high possibility she will go into an English career in the future.

One question is still left unanswered: Why do people like math over English? Kylie Farris (11) sheds light on why this may be. “Math has a straightforward answer,” Farris said. “It’s always right and you always know the steps to get there. But in English, there are many different rules and different ways that you can do things. There’s no one right answer.”

While English may strike a nerve with some people, it clearly serves as an inspiration for others. Maybe in the future, words will surpass numbers in popularity, but until then, math’s domain in the classroom will be loved by a wide range.