The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Windsor athletes sign to continue their athletic careers in college

Maya Brasch
Landon Scruggs (12) and Sidnei Cumings (12) listen to Eric Johnson (staff) give a speech about moving on and growing up. Scruggs and Cumings were two of the 13 students who signed to play sports collegiately.

The annual signing ceremony was Thursday, April 25, in Windsor High School’s gymnasium. Windsor athletes signed their letters of intent to their respective colleges where they will pursue their sports and academic careers. 

There were 13 student athletes who committed during this spring ceremony, with another six athletes having signed last fall; in the senior class of 2024, there were 19 athletes total who signed.

Families celebrating took the time to decorate their students’ tables with banners, streamers and pictures of them. Cookies and refreshments were also provided by the excited families. 

Athletic director Eric Johnson (staff) was in charge of the ceremony. Over the 10 years of his athletic directing career, he has overseen 105 students sign their letters. 

He said, “It’s a physical, literal representation of the work that they’ve put in to get where they’re going and to see them be excited to share that with fans, family and friends and coaches and people that have supported them and know that they’re taking that next step and it’s a really special day.” 

The participating athletes received special pins to put on their letterman jackets. The pins symbolize the hard work and dedication that it took to be an athlete for Windsor High School. 

Landon Scruggs (12) committed to be a cornerback for Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He has been playing football since middle school and looks forward to growing as a player. 

Scruggs said, “The only doubt or fear I have is going somewhere I have never been before and going by myself because that is scary, but a new experience and meeting new people is cool.” 

Sidnei Cumings (12) is committed to MSU Denver to be a heptathlete in track. She is happy to stay close to home throughout her college years: “I am nervous to meet a new team and compete in new events. But I have an amazing support system of friends and family to help me through any struggles I may have.” 

While athletics are not the most important part of high school, they often seem the most visible. Signing day is important to commemorate the memories and legacy of the athletes that helped put Windsor High School on the map.

Every athlete signing: 

• Sidnei Cumings: Metro State University
  • Hunter Dorrance: Hastings College
  • Gavyn Helm: University of Wyoming
  • Henry Jones: South Dakota School of Mines
  • Connor Kosola: University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy
  • Ella Moody: University of Denver
  • Mikey Munn: University of South Dakota
  • Brady Lichtenberg: Hastings College
  • Rylen Renton: William Jewell College
  • Allison Sanger: Chadron State College
  • Kaleb Schwarz: Laramie County Community College
  • Landon Scruggs: Northwestern University
  • Alexa Strohman: Shenandoah University