The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Burrito sales support culinary classes, build student skills

Haleigh Haddon
Culinary students Cade Pohlen (10) and Easton Ramirez (11) prepare burritos by wrapping them. Students raised money for the culinary classes while building valuable cooking skills.

Often students come to school hungry, often even eating some or all of their lunch before 12:10 p.m. So the culinary team decided to come up with a delicious way for students to enjoy a snack and for the culinary classes to make money.

Culinary teacher Cammie Smith (staff), who is the leader of this burrito sale, had her students make the burritos for credit in her class. Ruth Stephens (10) was one of the many culinary students making the burritos. Stephens said, “It’s a great experience and has really helped me with my cooking skills, which will help me in the future, which is good.”

Smith’s classroom is where students can go to buy burritos; burritos were stored in a crockpot to keep them warm. Smith’s burritos have become popular and helped the culinary classes make a profit. Smith said, “The burritos are very popular with the students. In fact, it has been so popular some days the culinary classes have not been able to keep up with the demand of product and they have been sold out.

Caeli Wright (10) is one of the many students who have bought a burrito. She said, “I think the burritos are delicious. I have really enjoyed them.”

Not only have the burritos helped the culinary classes make a profit, but they have also helped the students learn valuable kitchen lessons. It is important to note that all the burritos sold have been homemade by students. Wright said, “I think the burritos are a good opportunity for students to get in the kitchen and learn how to cook.” 

Smith has helped mentor students on the burritos, which has really helped the students become efficient in their burrito-making process. Smith said, “We make breakfast burritos at every level, so we treat it as every other recipe, starting off with the students making their own burrito recipe and then they get to eat them to taste test.”

Culinary students Tadese Keyworth (11) and Noah Foth (12) prepare burritos for the school so that they can sell them. The burrito sales lasted for a month. (Haleigh Haddon)

The burrito sales were April 1-26. Profits will go to the culinary classes for the fun new recipes students would like to try.