The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Students, teachers join forces to create unforgettable prom experiences

Adyson Roles
Students in Jessica Teal’s (staff) design seminar class work hard on their prom creations, refurbishing a piece of decor from the Sadie’s dance. They based their new design on the Disney movie “Tangled,” this year’s prom theme.

The end of the school year is filled with exciting events on the horizon. In particular, WHS’s prom. Taking place on May 4, prom has juniors, seniors and their guests getting their dresses and suits ready for the big night.

The students attending prom are getting themselves ready by making plans and preparing what they will wear. Some of those same students are helping decorate as well. Students in Mike Vasa’s (staff) graphic design class help bring their flair to the big night.

“We are going to make posters to advertise prom. The prom committee will see the posters and choose three to four winners. Then, we will get those printed and hung up by next week,” Vasa explained.

Along with Vasa, family and consumer sciences teacher Jessica Teal (staff) and her classes have been prominent in the creative process. 

“My classes are doing the backdrops for prom based on the colors and the theme. They’re doing centerpieces for the tables. They’re doing the walkway entrance, artificial flowers, lanterns and the DJ area. So they’re just decorating for the whole thing,” Teal said.

Students in those classes — like Madison Palmer (10) — have had much success and enjoyment while doing what they love along with helping out the other students.

Madison Palmer (10) continues the hard work on her poster for prom. She previously created other posters for the same class to develop her skills. Adyson Roles

Prom posters can be a daunting task, but Vasa’s classes have prepared with the other designs they’ve already created this year. “We have made self-portraits, cityscapes and now our prom posters,” Palmer stated.

Whether or not they’re going to prom, students working on the decorations want the best-looking pieces for their school and prom attendees.

“I think our posters show the theme ‘Tangled’ well and will make people more excited,” Palmer said.

The special touch of student-made products brings extra engagement and skills to students and staff, even if this isn’t the first year for student participation.

“We do this every year. We do homecoming and prom. It’s a great opportunity for them to distribute information in an eye-pleasing way,” Vasa explained.

Making these assignments for both classes adds a fun mix of hard work and creativity. Both teachers and students have the main goal of making prom night special for everyone who walks through the doors.

“My students are seeing the importance of creating a welcoming, fun and social prom that everyone feels like they’re a part of and that they want to come to because prom is a really special and important thing in the high school experience. We want to make sure it’s something every student at Windsor High School can get involved in and enjoy,” Teal described. 

As the night approaches at a quicker rate, students must use their creativity promptly to have everything prepared for the big event. With only a week left, students feel the urgency while continuing to let their minds do what they do best.

Prom is on Saturday, May 4, from 8 to 11 p.m. in the Windsor High School cafeteria. Tickets can be purchased online in advance.