The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Spring weather affects the girls tennis season

Aneesia DelaGarza
Abby Toerge (12) serves a play during practice at the tennis courts. The girls tennis team has struggled with spring weather affecting their practices and meets.

For athletes about to compete, it is common to flip a coin to see who starts off the game. However for the girls tennis players, it’s a coin flip to see if they will get a chance to play or get stormed out.

Ever since the season started in early March, the team has had struggles with the weather, dealing with wind, rain and even snow.

“Normally we would have to be out there shoveling the snow, to clear the courts and practices are always cold and windy, so we just have to deal with that and normally we see a lot of meet cancellations and rescheduling,” Grady Thorne (11) said. Thorne has been the manager for the girls tennis team for the past three years.

Taylor Meinen (10) and her partner Mia Baatz (10) are currently undefeated and have also seen problems with the weather. 

“The spring weather has definitely been a challenge. We have had to have a few cancellations and had to reschedule because of storms and past conferences having to get canceled,” Meinen, who has been playing tennis since 8th grade, said.

Leah Carey (09) gathers in a circle at practice to stretch before starting. The girls warm up with stretches and running before starting drills. (Aneesia DelaGarza)

Madison Knight (10), a new player to the team, joined this season. The weather has also affected her and her play time. 

“It can be hard with the weather because it can be hard to change the plans and also sometimes we cannot reschedule the matches,” Knight said. 

While the girls tennis season continues into May, the summer weather is coming out, so hopefully the rain and wind is replaced with sunshine and a light breeze.