The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Three students selected to be Northern District FCCLA Officers

Jessica Teal
Lyla Bumford (10), Ruth Stephens (10) and Sonia Miller (10) gather at Colorado State University for the Northern District Event where they were titled with their district officer positions. All three students are sophomores and plan to continue with FCCLA leadership through all of high school.

Three students from WHS were selected over the weekend of Feb. 26 for leadership roles in the northern chapter of Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) program. The three students — Lyla Bumford (10), Ruth Stephens (10) and Sonia Miller (10) — joined FCCLA their freshman year working alongside family consumer sciences teacher Jessica Teal (staff), the leader of the club.

Teal has supervised FCCLA at WHS for eight years; she also was involved in the program during high school. On Feb. 28, the Northern District Event was held at Thompson Valley High School. Since joining her first day of ninth grade, Bumford now holds the position of vice president for the entire FCCLA Northern Colorado chapter. “If there are any disagreements and disputes between the members other than the president, I help settle that,” Bumford said. 

Miller was persuaded to join FCCLA during her freshman year by the same friends she holds today. She knew this was her thing right away. “Ever since joining my freshman year, I have been wanting to do more and more of it so I am looking forward to doing it until my senior year,” vice president of membership Miller said. “I enroll people in (to the program).”

Jessica Teal (staff), Lyla Bumford (10), Ruth Stephens (10), Sonia Miller (10) and outgoing president Lindsey Wilcox (12) pose for a photo at the Winter District Conference of FCCLA. Bumford, Stephens and Miller were all selected as Northern District FCCLA officers. (Photo provided by Jessica Teal)

Vice president of events/public relations is Stephens’ leadership role. “I try to get as many people in ‘the know’ about FCCLA as I can,” Stephens said. Teal was the one that really pushed her toward running for vice president of events and public relations. Stephens ultimately went for it and said she is glad she did. 

Teal was a member of FCCLA for three out of four of her high school years at Rocky Mountain High School; she held the title of chapter president for a majority of it. “For Windsor to really represent the Northern District … three of them … that’s like 80% of the team,” Teal said.

The official ceremony for Bumford, Stephens and Miller is in May. While they start their titles duties in August, by the end of their junior year they will be able to re-run for even higher positions. Coincidentally, all three girls are sophomores. “It is really nice that they are all sophomores so we can have them for two more years and I can encourage them to run for state officer positions,” Teal said. 

This fall — using their passion and admirability — all three students will make use of their voice and power to vocalize for Northern Colorado and WHS.