The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Sophomore celebrates fifth year swimming competitively

Tristyn Bruning
Ainsley Austin (10) swims backstroke at the Ugly Sweater Invite on Dec. 22. Austin qualified for state in two events: the 100 backstroke and the 200 relay. 

Ainsley Austin (10) has been competitively swimming for five years and started in 6th grade. Though only a sophomore, she has seen great success, including competing at state twice.

During the season Austin competed in the 100 backstroke, 100 fly and two medley relay. 

“For events I do 100 backstroke and 100 fly and then I also do the two medley relay and I swim backstroke in that and then I kinda go in between the two free and the four free, but I don’t feel like I’m as good at freestyle as I am backstroke so that’s why I prefer the two medley relay,” Austin said. 

This was Austin’s first year at state where she qualified in an individual event; she competed in the 100 back and 200 relay. 

Austin said she wouldn’t be where she is without her teammates and time in practices.

“I think honestly just, like, having a support system, like, just making friends in swim and everything and then you get to see them every day when you come to practice. And then at meets, I’d have to say the big championship meets like state and then making state, those meets where you make state and those state cuts is probably my favorite part cause, like, all your hard work pays off,” Austin said.

Ainsley Austin (10) and Reagan Annable (10) pose together outside the district office. They celebrated going to state together. (Brandy Annable)

Reagan Annable (10) was also on the swim and dive team. In swimming she competes in the 50 free and 100 free.

“My relationship with her (Austin) is really good. I have swam with her since 6th grade and we have been friends since 4th grade. So we have always been pretty close,” Annable said. 

Austin’s hopes at state were to pop out with some great times, have excellent competition, to see some improvement as a team and to see their practice pay off.  She also said she wanted to have an amazing time with her teammates at one of their last meets together as a team.

Austin’s goal is to continue swimming into her senior year and hopefully splash her goals of making better times and receiving scholarships. 

“I am hoping for it. I really hope I can get a scholarship or just talk to different coaches from colleges. I think that will be very fun and exciting, but yeah I’m definitely working towards that. If it doesn’t come down to that, it’s completely fine too, I still love swimming anyways,”Austin said.

Swimming has made Austin an athlete and also given her a different mindset. 

“I think it impacts my life every day. I think that it’s shaped me to be who I am and to be a hard worker, determined. I am very goal-oriented now. I feel like I am disciplined with it too, but yeah I feel like it has changed everything, obviously the friends that I have and the goals that I am working towards and colleges,” Austin said.

The friends that she has made through swimming seem like they’re here to stay.

“We have this tradition every year: we take a picture with me and Ainsley, so we have taken it at every banquet and all throughout middle school and we have taken it at state pictures, so that’s always been a fun time,” Annable said.

Austin said that swimming has made her more determined. Her advice for anyone struggling with swimming or determination in general? “I would say to keep going, like I know you don’t see the improvement or the achievements now, but you aren’t going to achieve those if you don’t keep working towards them, so keep working towards them.”