The Windsor Chronicle

The Student News Site of Windsor High School

The Windsor Chronicle

The Windsor Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Two seniors enlist in the Marine Corps

Samantha Wilcox
Lucas Ng (12) and Landrie Tamlin (12) listen to speeches during the Veteran’s Day assembly on Nov. 10. Both students have enlisted in the Marine Corps.

As the U.S. Air Force, Navy and Army have struggled with recruiting in recent years, the Marine Corps has continually met its recruiting goals. After graduation, Lucas Ng (12) and Landrie Tamlin (12) are two students who are expected to ship out next summer. Both have enlisted in the same branch of the military: the Marine Corps.

“It’s a lot of financial security. I get free college and free healthcare, as well as the capability to put a down payment on a house. Also for the cool uniforms,” Ng said.

With their ship date arriving quicker than it seems, Ng and Tamlin continue to enhance their strength both physically and mentally. 

“You have a recruiter that helps you along with everything. In between the time that you enlist and the time you get shipped, you’re in the delay entry program, so I go up to the training office and do PT there. It’s a lot of getting mentally and physically prepared,” Ng explained.

Students and people alike have many different reasons why they want to enlist. For some, it’s because they don’t want to grow up. For others, it’s because they want to put their capabilities to the test. No matter the reason, each time someone enlists, the military forces gain strong-willed people who willingly put their lives at risk for their beloved country.

Lucas Ng (12) and Landrie Tamlin (12) rise after being recognized during the Veteran’s Day assembly on Nov. 10. Both students enlisted in the Marine Corps and are set to be shipped out mid-June. (Kjersten Johnson)

“I want to enlist because I really just want to be in something bigger than myself and be a part of something bigger than myself. I want to prove to myself that I can do it, especially as a woman in the Marine Corps. It’s a really big honor and privilege to even do that, so I just want to prove to myself and other females that we are capable of doing stuff like that,” Tamlin stated. 

Not always knowing what the next move could be, military members often run head-first into a situation where anything can happen. This can add fear not only for them but also for their families, friends and supporters.  

“The scariest thing is the reality of it all. Like I said, the world is divided right now and something could break out at any moment that I could be in the middle of,” Tamlin said.

Not only are their friends nervous about the outcome that may come into play, but so are many families. Leaving family behind can be one of the biggest stressors, but support often shines through as well, letting enlisters know they have people who care for them enough to back them up from afar. 

“The world is really divided right now and so they’re obviously worried about me, but they’re being supportive and trying to help me out as best as they can,” Tamlin explained.

With the support of many people, Ng and Tamlin will forever be thanked for the risks they’re soon to endure for freedom. As these students have been preparing, assistant principal Dick Thomas (staff) has been by their side offering a helping hand in support. 

“I’m just encouraging them, telling them that, you know, we’re proud of them, that we’re happy for them. So, I think it’s just encouragement to tell them it’s great, good luck to them, thank you for their service,” Thomas stated.

Because there are only two students enlisting this year, that may not seem like a huge contribution to most. But to others, it’s a huge honor to have people like them go off to an unknown place to fight for and protect citizens and democracy. 

“It makes me proud that we have some students that want to serve in our military. I’m glad that we have the opportunity for some of our students to enter the military because I think it’s a great opportunity for some students,” Thomas said. “The military is probably not the place for a lot of our students, but for some of our students, it’s a good fit. There’s a lot of great opportunities in the military for them.”

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Windsor Chronicle
$450
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Windsor High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.