Categories:

Homecoming Week: Student Council makes drastic change to royalty voting system, winners announced

Leah Gilmore (12) gets crowned homecoming queen alongside king Tristyn Bruning (12). Student Council changed the royalty voting system this homecoming season.
Samantha Wilcox

With homecoming week in full swing, it’s time to address the reformation of the homecoming court voting. In the past, the selection of royalty was completely in the hands of the students. With two rounds of voting for each grade done by students, the consensus was made. However, this year, the school is taking a different approach to the system: teachers start off the first round with nominations and then students vote on the top six nominations of their class.

Two seniors nominated to homecoming royalty walk down the football field together
Leah Bacon (12) and Tristyn Bruning (12) pose for a photo after senior nominees were announced at the homecoming football game on Friday, Oct. 18. Bacon is the co-executive president of Student Council and had a say in the changes to the royalty voting system. (Samantha Wilcox) (Samantha Wilcox)

The Student Council staff approached the subject of change collectively. “We reflected on years past … we decided that we wanted a change,” Student Council executive co- president Leah Bacon (12) said. 

The teachers took initiative in the first round of voting this year. Student Council adviser Michael Thompson (staff), approached his second year in the role thinking of additional changes he wanted to enforce for this homecoming season.

All members of the staff voted for three girls and three boys from each grade that they believed were eligible for the royalty positions. Staff nominated students who they believe show spirit and responsibility and will continue to use their position for the betterment of their peers. Teachers see this behavior in the classroom more often than the nominees’ friends, allowing royalty to represent academics and behavior more accurately.

“There were times over the past ten years … that maybe the reasons why people were being nominated were not noble in nature,” Thompson said.

Since the new system has taken place, Thompson wanted to give Student Council a huge shout-out for being so compliant and willing to change.

Once all votes were collected, students chose between the six peers in their grade to select two total to represent their class’s court.

The nominees were announced on Monday, Oct. 14, which then opened voting for students. John Backhaus (12), a nominee for homecoming king, said he didn’t mind whether or not he was nominated but he appreciates the support nonetheless. “I don’t think I would have been voted (without the help of the teachers),” Backhaus said. 

Leah Gilmore (12) and John Backhaus (12) lean back to back after walking the field when senior nominees were announced at the homecoming football game on Friday, Oct. 18. Gilmore won homecoming queen moments after this photo was taken. (Samantha Wilcox)

Naturally, as with any change, students are on the fence about the new rules. Backhaus respectfully disagreed with the new system, even though he thinks it helped him in the voting process. He said he thinks the voting should be swapped, with the teachers voting on the finalists.

“Not everyone was on board, which is okay, that’s always how it is with new things,” Bacon said. Despite dissenting opinions, she thinks it went really well this year. 

See the nominations and winners (bolded text) below.

Freshman Duke and Duchess Nominations:

• Daynn Dorrance
  • Reid Green
  • Everett Woods
  • Whitten Lewis
  • Danae Beeman
  • Brielle Pohlen
  • Macy Villavicencio

Sophomore Count and Countess Nominations:

• Gabe King
  • Fisher Kintz
  • Robert Trotter Jr. 
  • Allison Ayotte
  • Karis Beeman
  • Avery Smiley

Junior Prince and Princess Nominations:

• Madden Smiley
  • Camden Smith
  • Jack Farmer
  • Mia Baatz
  • Kiana Cumings
  • Abbie Sedaghat

Senior King and Queen Nominations:

• John Backhaus
  • Michael Webb
  • Tristyn Bruning
  • Leah Bacon
  • Delaney Kintz
  • Leah Gilmore

Donate to The Windsor Chronicle
$25
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Windsor High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.