Categories:

Fashion show blends inclusivity, art

Seven current, former Weld RE-4 students participate in Styles Beyond Stereotypes fashion show
Model Preslee Asay traverses the runway. She is a 16-year-old sophomore attending Williamsburg Academy of Colorado and is a former Weld RE-4 student.
Oliver Bilotte

On Saturday, Oct. 12, the fashion show Styles Beyond Stereotypes took place, bringing together fashion and awareness.

The event took place at the Aims Community College campus in Greeley, Colorado, and was sponsored by more than 15 businesses. Attendees enjoyed food, drinks, desserts, a 360-degree photo booth and, of course, the runway show.

Jadyn Hodge (11) poses for the 360-degree camera. The fashion show focused on inclusivity and sustainability. (Oliver Bilotte)

All materials used for the show were sourced from arc Thrift Stores, one of the main sponsors of the event. Alms had to be careful when choosing fabrics and materials, as many of the models had sensory issues with certain fabrics.

The event aimed to push the boundaries of fashion in the modern day and age and challenge perceptions of individuals with disabilities.

During the event, event organizer Lori Couch said, “I hope tonight you see … how we can elevate people with disabilities.” Couch is also one of the coaches for WHS Unified Bowling.

Many people with disabilities are limited on their opportunities in life because of how society treats them. “A strange thing happens when someone is given one of those big diagnoses, they suddenly lose their identity,” Sherry Rumley, a parent of one of the models said. “We want to change that tonight …. Notice that they are a person, and they have a disability …. (Now) cheer on these amazing individuals who just so happen to have disabilities.”

All of the profits went to furthering opportunities for disabled individuals. “We want to … open up doors for every single one of these guys, to be able to work, to be able to be included, and to be able to have a voice,” Couch said.

They held a silent auction with help from the 15 sponsoring businesses, as well as a live auction on custom-made cowboy hats designed by the models and created by Hamblen Hats that were featured on the runway. “It’s not about whose hat you’re wearing or what patch is on the back, it’s about the people who are wearing them,” owner Travis Hamblen said.

Jacob Carpio goes down the runway. Carpio graduated from Windsor High School in 2024. (Oliver Bilotte)

In total they raised more than $20,000 from the live auction alone. “If we all do a little we can achieve big things,” Rumley said. “I am excited for all the programs the Arc is going to be able to provide to individuals with disabilities.”

The night ended with The Arc of Northeast Colorado giving out its annual Margaret Brown Community Impact Award, an award given to a community member seeking “inclusion, acceptance, and belonging for all.” Karen Galvin was the recipient.

In total, there were seven current or former Weld RE-4 students who participated in the fashion show.

Donate to The Windsor Chronicle
$25
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Windsor High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.